Teaching positions open periodically. Availability depends on class sizes, specific courses planned for the coming semester, and the occasional change of instructors. All applications are seriously considered for teaching positions. The availability of positions vary from semester to semester.
Job Description •
Professional artists are hired as instructors to work with youth ages 5-18. Specific classes taught change each semester. Instructors are not required to be skilled in all the areas that we teach, however the more knowledge an instructor has in different mediums is a plus. Individuals will mentor, inspire, and instruct 8-14 students at a time.
- Instructors must have professional art training or equivalent professional experience (portfolio should indicate competency).
- Individuals should posses the following essential skills: organized, focused, flexible, innovative, productive, self motivated, capable of multi-tasking, and displays initiative.
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact with people of all ages, and backgrounds in a positive manner.
- Capable of leading discussions or class critique of artwork, and teaching students artistic skills in a safe and constructive method.
- Past experience working with youth is important.
- Uphold and implement the mission of the Visual Art Institute and its core values, vision, and aims.
- In a positive manner, manage a class of 8-14 students ages 5-11 or 12-18.
- Develop teaching outlines, strategies, and lesson plans for each 15 week course that an instructor teaches.
- Maintain a positive, safe, learning environment, and classroom atmosphere that enhances each individual's creativity.
- Initiate and oversee class critique sessions.
- Mentor youth in the learning of artistic and creative methods as well as leadership skills while developing positive peer relationships.
- Attend required faculty meetings.
- Maintain positive relationships with students, parents, instructors, and staff.
How to Apply
Please mail a letter of interest, your resume, references, and portfolio (portfolios of artwork should be 15-25 jpeg images on a CD or a video on a DVD or a link to a website). None of these documents will be returned. If you have any questions regarding positions or the application process, please contact us.
Send application documents to:
Visual Art Institute
Art Instructor Teaching Positions
2901 South Highland Drive
Salt Lake City, Utah 84106
Visual Art Institute is an equal opportunity employer.